Monday, January 2, 2012

New journeys

The new year is here and with it come new journeys, new aspirations, new dreams and new hopes.

I'm starting the new year in my new home, Miri. I relocated here in Oct 2011 and must say this place has grown on me day by day. For those who are unfamiliar, Miri is in Sarawak, a state on East Malaysia. Being the second city of Sarawak, total population is above 300,000 however in the city area, you probably feel that there is only about 80,000 people.
The pace of life here is a bit slower, do not expect high rise buildings and plenty of shopping malls. I would describe it as Penang 20 years ago. Expect lots of lush greenery, family run businesses, warm and friendly people and a better quality of life with family and values. Here, the community is a close knit one and invitations to houses for meals are abundant. Being here allows me a retreat from the hectic city life I've been through for many years. It allows me to take a step back and life rather than be caught up in the rat race. Being further away from family and on my own here, you appreciate family time, reflect on great memories and look forward to the next time you're with your loved ones again.
Being here with colleagues who are also away from home, you develop a kinship and look out for each other when ill or even when going through bad patches. You are never truly alone. I have made a few true good friends here and I am thankful for that :)
The air here is much less polluted thus it helps with my sinus. For me, I love that I'm right by the sea. Those who know me well enough will know I'm a sucker for the sun, sand and sea. From my room, I hear the waves every day. The sun rises earlier at 630am and the sky is dark by 630pm. I have the full facilities of a hotel available to me thus health is taking a front seat with me heading to the gym 3 times a week. The aim is to be fit and healthy, while eating right and getting enough rest since this is the first time in 11 years that I only work 5 days a week. Shall try to blog more often then :)

No comments:

Post a Comment